Monday 10 June 2013

My Hay Festival Highlights - Peter Sawyer and the Vikings


I am still elated after my day at the Hay - I can't believe it has already been ten days! I've been wearing my Hay t-shirt, watching the sessions I couldn't get to in person on Sky Arts, and savouring the memories of the ones I did get to attend.

The amazing historian Peter Sawyer gave a talk on the Vikings, and the treasures that tempted them to frequently raid England. This was my second to last session of the day but the fascinating lecture left me buzzing. I'm putting both The Wealth Of Anglo-Saxon England, published in February 2013, and the earlier Oxford Illustrated History of the Vikings on my reading list.

But probably not a good idea to read them all in one sitting, as Peter Florence, who presented the session, seems to have done the night before. Here's my sneaky picture of him snoring gently on my right after introductions.

And talking of festivals, this is the last week of the Prestwich Book Festival! There are only two events left to enjoy - Growing Up Saintly with Jenn Ashworth, and Alison Moore and Nicholas Royle: in conversation. For tickets, go to Prestwich Book Festival

No comments:

Post a Comment