Wednesday 12 December 2012

The 2012 vote - what's your best book of the year?

I was asked to nominate the best 2012 book in my opinion for Bookmunch. Hilary Mantel's Bring Up The Bodies had already been snapped by someone quicker than me so I had to think again. My choice - Ruth Padel's The Mara Crossing - will probably become one of those books I don't forget. I've written before about this gorgeous collection and you can read my thoughts here and here. In fact, I'm glad my first idea had been taken - I am a fiction reader through and through, at least when it comes to reading in English, and so to get such a strong connection with a book of poems was unexpected. But it was the accompanying essays that sealed my fate - Padel's reflections on life and death and, most of all, migration, are exquisitely written and wrap the poems as lovingly as a perfect Christmas present.

To read more on the best of 2012, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment