Tuesday 22 March 2011

Am I commitment phobic when it comes to novels?

I've been thinking about the novel I'm supposed to be writing for my MA in Creative Writing at Manchester Metropolitan University. I say 'supposed to be' because for the last few weeks I've been writing a lot of short stories and flash fiction, but no novel. I can't say I'm blocked, quite the opposite - I'm writing more than ever and I've been asked a lot why I look so glowing. But the novel has been resting. The last time I worked on it I realised that every time I write it for a period of time and then leave it, the next time I come back to it I sound different. As if the protagonist has multiple personalities. Which might be the solution. You might say, don't leave it, keep writing it every day. But that's the thing - I write and then I feel as if I have emptied my tank of thoughts and sentences and I have to leave it while I re-fill.
With my self-imposed One Story A Day challenge I don't feel the need to not write. I like the freedom of short stories, so that must make me commitment phobic when it comes to novels. To make matters even more complicated, I've been avoiding reading novels too. I just don't want to commit. What if that writer's style influences my thoughts too much! And now the guilt feelings come flooding in: does that all make me a bad person? A bad reader? A bad writer?!
It is as if being just a short story writer - at least for now - makes us somehow worse than 'real writers' - the novel writers. The fear that publishers would not want to take me on without a promise of the real thing in the future. That writing short stories is just a preliminary step, sort of like being a trainee writer. That's quite similar to relationships, I think. If you only have flings and one night stands, society would generally think worse of you than if you are in a committed relationship. And if I am in a commited long term relationship (engaged, as it is), then why can't I commit to a novel? And should I?
In the meantime, I've been reading short stories and my favourite for this morning is World Enough and Time by Linda Mccullough Moore (The Sun Magazine).

No comments:

Post a Comment